Pictou Advocate Building
21 George St, Pictou
From the age of 18, John D. MacDonald had a dream of setting up his own printing press. In the fall of 1891, he opened a job printing shop in the town of Pictou, Nova Scotia. The business began to grow under MacDonald’s ambitious direction and in December 1893 he purchased a secondhand newspaper press to launch The Pictou Advocate.
In January 1900, a fire destroyed the press and offices. However, with relentless determination and the help of his community, MacDonald rebuilt his print company and newspaper; never missing an issue.
The operation took residence in many buildings in Pictou, before finally settling in the stone house on George Street where The Pictou Advocate resides today.