First Presbyterian Church
10 Prince St, Pictou
In the 1840, 50s and even the 60s many protestant groups built churches with steeples just like this one - flat topped with mini spires at each corner, much like a "widow's walk". The widow's walk was a common seaside structure, named for the widows of seafarers who have not returned from the sea, hopefully pacing atop a high tower, eyes to the sea, still believing that he may return. In 1848, the present church was erected.